Do you know what MDBC stands for? Mother-Daughter Book Club. No, it's not a new program here at the library. It's a great book series for ten to fourteen-year-old girls. What makes it great? Two things --
1. Four very different middle schoolers are forced to join a book club. With their mothers. The horror! But instead of disaster, unlikely and unexpected friendships are forged.
2. Each book in the series is tied to a classic piece of literature. And, amazingly, the storylines in those books are still relevant to these modern girls' lives.
There are six books so far (the newest one is coming out on Tuesday, October 23, 2012). And trust me, you won't be satisfied merely reading the series. You'll want to read the classics too. So, for your convenience, here's a list of all twelve books.
1. The Mother-Daughter Book Club by Heather Vogel Frederick
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
2. Much Ado About Anne by Heather Vogel Frederick
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
3. Dear Pen Pal by Heather Vogel Frederick
Daddy Long-Legs by Jean Webster
4. Pies & Prejudice by Heather Vogel Frederick
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
5. Home for the Holidays by Heather Vogel Frederick
Betsy-Tacy by Maud Hart Lovelace
6. Wish You Were Eyre by Heather Vogel Frederick
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte