How do I reserve a meeting room?
The primary purpose of library meeting rooms is to serve the needs of library-sponsored programs and services, which shall receive scheduling priority. Otherwise, meeting room facilities are available for use by the City of Hoover and other community groups engaged in educational, cultural, intellectual, or charitable activities that benefit our citizens.
In accordance with the Library Bill of Rights, the meeting room facilities are open to the public on an equitable basis, regardless of the beliefs or affiliations of individuals requesting their use. The Library does not advocate or endorse the viewpoints of meetings or meeting room users. Each application will be reviewed to determine if the meeting is educational, cultural, intellectual, or charitable in nature.
Use of meeting room facilities at the Hoover Public Library is subject to guidelines established by the Library Board of Trustees.
- Applicants for use of meeting room facilities must have a current Jefferson County library card. The applicant must serve as the group contact and attend all meetings for which they make reservations.
- Meetings must be of an educational, cultural, intellectual, or charitable nature. Meeting room facilities are unavailable for social events, such as baby showers, birthday parties and weddings.
- Meetings must be free and open to the public. Groups using the meeting room facilities may not charge an admission or class fee, sell items, promote items for sale, or request donations for attendance or participation. Groups may collect membership dues from members at meetings. Groups shall not limit access to individuals who may wish to attend a meeting. An individual’s right to attend shall not be denied or abridged because of origin, age, background, views, or the inability to pay to attend a meeting. In addition, groups/organizations using meeting room facilities may not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disabled status, or any other legally protected status in the provision of services and access.
- The library does not sponsor/support groups utilizing meeting room facilities, and publicity announcing meetings should in no way imply library sponsorship. The name/address of the library is not be used in advertising of any kind except as a source of location. The library may not be used as a mailing address and the library’s phone number may not be used as a contact for program information.
- Meeting room facilities are provided free to qualifying groups unless the group provides refreshments or catering. A non-refundable cleaning fee is required upon approval of the reservation. Should the group fail to pay the cleaning fee, or should the facilities be left in a disorderly or dirty condition, the group will not be permitted to meet until the account has been settled. Depending on the severity, future reservations may be declined. The Library does not provide use of tablecloths, dishes, eating utensils, paper goods, or coffee making supplies or appliances. All catering requests by meeting room applicants shall be directed to the library café vendor, who shall have the right of first refusal.
- Meetings of group participants under 19 years of age must have an adult sponsor in attendance. Groups of participants 12 years and under must have at least one adult sponsor for every five participants. Groups of participants 13-17 must have an adult sponsor for every ten participants.
- Signs, decorations, or other objects are not to be taped or attached to walls, doors, or equipment in any manner. Equipment provided in meeting rooms may be used only in the meeting rooms. No equipment or furniture is to be removed from the meeting rooms. Groups using the rooms are responsible for reimbursing the library for any damage to library furniture or equipment.
- A maximum of 12 meetings per calendar year with no more than one meeting per month will be scheduled. Reservation requests may be made up to 180 days in advance. Reservation requests must be submitted no later than three business days prior to the date/time requested. The library reserves the right to withdraw a previously approved meeting room reservation, providing as much advance notice as possible.
- The following hours are available for meeting room usage. Groups will not be able to enter rooms early or remain later than the designated time previously set by the group contact person.
Monday 9:30am – 8:30pm
Tuesday 9:30am – 8:30pm
Wednesday 9:30am – 8:30pm
Thursday 9:30am – 8:30pm
Friday 9:30am – 5:30pm
Saturday 10:30am – 5:30pm
Sunday 1:30pm – 5:30pm