New Bible Commentaries
We have an extensive collection of Christian nonfiction here at the Hoover Public Library. If you are looking for something from popular insipirational authors like Joel Osteen, Joyce Meyer, T.D. jakes, Gary Chapman, Anne Lamott or local author David Platt , we have what you need. If you are looking for classics from C.S. Lewis, Dietrich Bonhoeffer or Billy Graham, we have those as well. We have books detailing the history of the Christian church and its various denominations, and ones on building the church of the future. We have books of prayers, hymns and daily devotionals. We even have books on dieting and nutrition from a Christian perspective!
We also have a good selection of multi-volume Bible commentaries, many of them new to our collection. Some contain full color photographs, maps and other useful information. In the past, these would have been designated as Reference Books - only available for use in the library - but now we allow ALL of these volumes to be checked out! These sets are wonderful tools for expanding your understanding of the Bible or providing guidance to a Sunday School class.
All commentaries are located in 220.7 in the Nonfiction Department.
- Holman New Testament Commentary. Ed. Max Anders. Nashville: B&H, 2000.
- The Interpreter’s Bible. 1953. Nashville: Abingon Press, 1984.
- Layman's Bible Book Commentary. Nashville: Broadman Press, 1978.
- MacArthur, John. The MacArthur New Testament Commentary. Chicago: Moody, 1985.
- McGee, J. Vernon. Thru the Bible with J. Vernon McGee. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 1982.
- Walton, John H. The IVP Bible Background Commentary: Old Testament. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 2000.
- Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary. Ed. John H. Walton. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2009.