How do I get a library membership?
Library Card is FREE to all ages living in Jefferson County or the City of Hoover.
What You Need to Obtain a Membership
To be eligible for a Jefferson County Library card, the patron must have a picture ID and proof of address. These needs can be met by a valid driver’s license with a current address or a combination of 1 from the identification column and 1 from the address column.
|Passport||Post marked piece of mail with patron’s name and current address|
|State issued ID||Lease or deed with patron’s name and current address|
|Military ID||Insurance card with name and current address
|Checkbook with current address
|Pay stub with current address|
|If the patron is a minor, their parents or guardian may assume responsibility for the card provided they meet the above criteria. If the patron is 18 or over, they must provide their own information.|
- Membership valid in all Jefferson County Libraries
Check out up to 100 items at a time
- Books, Music CD’s, Books-on-Tape, Books-on-CD, Playaways, Puppets, CD-ROMs, & Non-Fiction VHS Tapes/DVDs check out for 3 weeks
- Popular DVDs and Video Games check out for 1 week. Limit 15 popular DVDs at a time
- Renew materials for an additional 3 weeks from date of renewal, EXCEPT for VHS Tapes, DVDs, computer related books, and items with reserves
Renewable materials can be renewed only once before the item must be returned for at least 24 hours
- Late charges are 15¢ per day for Books, Music CD’s, Books-on-Tape, Books-on-CD, Playaways, Puppets, and CD-ROMs
- Late charges are $1.00 per day for DVDs, VHS Tapes and Video Games
Replacement library cards are $3.00
- Friend’s Bookstore
- Use of Library computers
- Free Computer Classes
- Online Databases
- Downloadable Audio Books
- Check the current library calendars in our downloads section just to the right in PDF format for additional programs and Library Theatre events.