Volunteer applications for summer will be accepted starting April 1, 2020.
What to Expect
A volunteer may be assigned a variety of tasks, given detailed instructions to be performed under direct supervision until the training period is over. The volunteer is expected to be able to work independently.
Examples of Work
Prep program supplies
Restocking materials for summer reading at the desk
Shelf books and alphabatize
Assisting with programs for younger patrons
High School students that have completed grade 8 or are 15-years-old. Students who live in the city limits of Hoover or have a parent/guardian who works for the City of Hoover may participate.
The library will not accept volunteers who are required to do court-ordered community service.
Volunteers will required to attend a mandatory training session. Time TBD
Opportunies for hours will be Tuesday through Friday and some Saturdays.
- Maturity and positive attitude
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to learn routine library tasks and work independently after training
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with library employees
- Ability to adhere to a specific schedule and to arrive promptly at the time scheduled
- Ability to talk and communicate with the public
How to Join
Fill out the application and return to the Teen Desk.
Applications will be accepted starting April 1 though April 24, 2020.
Simply filling out an application does not guarantee acceptance to volunteer.