Teen Summer Volunteers
Junior high students in grade 8 and high school students who live in the city limits of Hoover or have a parent/guardian who works for the City of Hoover may participate. The library will not accept volunteers who are required to do court-ordered community service.
Teens must have reliable transportation
Must be comfortable interacting with the public especially children
Simply filling out this application does not guarantee acceptance to the summer volunteer program.
Summer volunteers must commit to at least four weeks of volunteering.
Summer Volunteer program is June 3 through August 2.
Summer volunteer applications will be accepted from March 1 through May 10.
What to Expect
A volunteer may be assigned a variety of tasks, given detailed instructions to be performed under direct supervision until the training period is over. The volunteer is expected to be able to work independently.
Examples of Work
Provides assistance with library programs as needed (ex. Summer Reading Program).
Performs other functions as required.
Volunteers do not assist the public, but perform important behind-the-scenes tasks
Volunteers may be scheduled for at least three (3) hours per work session, and no more than eight (12) hours per week. It may not be possible to fulfill all community service hours at the library.
- Maturity and positive attitude
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to learn routine library tasks and work independently after training
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with library employees
- Ability to adhere to a specific schedule and to arrive promptly at the time scheduled
- Ability to talk and communicate with the public
How to Join
Fill out the below application. Volunteers picked will be contacted via email to secure dates and times.