Our SUPER-HUGE superhero summer reading kick-off party is almost here! Join us for HERO-CON on Friday, May 29, 2015 at 7 p.m. This after-hours event is FREE! It's for all ages and spreads throughout the entire library. The night of the event you'll receive a copy of The Daily Planet to help you navigate our world of heroes, but here's a sneak peek to help you plan ahead.
DC COMICS on THE THEATRE LEVEL
- Discover your superhero potential with Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and more!
- Batman will take over the Library Theatre stage with Batmobile Training, a Bat Signal craft, and a couple of games that put you face-to-face with Mr. Freeze and The Penguin. Batgirl and The Joker will also be part of the action. WARNING! The Joker will be rolling through with a cart of treats. Eat them if you dare.
- Complete a series of strength and speed challenges with Superman and Supergirl in the Meeting Rooms. Lois Lane, ace reporter, will also be on the scene. WARNING! Lois Lane is trying to protect Superman from his only weakness. Help her by eating the Kryptonite on her food cart.
- Wonder Woman will wow you with Invisible Jet manufacturing and test flights. You'll also get a chance to design your own bullet-stopping bracelets.
- Try to lay your eyes on The Flash. He's fast, so you'll have your work cut out for you.
MARVEL COMICS UNIVERSE on THE LIBRARY PLAZA
- Official photo op with members of the Avengers! Meet and greet and take a picture with Iron Man, Captain America, and Black Widow on The Library Plaza stage.
- Conduct experiments in Bruce Banner's Lab (formerly the Reading Room). DO NOT try to make him HULK out!
- Weather alert in the News Stand! Create and capture a tornado with Storm from the X-Men.
- Star-Lord, Gamora, Rocket Raccoon, and Baby Groot will rock out with you at our Guardians of the Galaxy Dance Party in Coffee-ol-ogy!
SPIDER-MAN'S WEB in THE TEEN SPOT
- Meet and pose with Spider-Man!
- Join Team Spidey in their quest to Silly String the Villains! Each kid receives one web slinger (can of silly string) to help fulfill their mission.
- Hone your spidey senses with the Spider-Man Wall Crawl.
- The villain Electro is on the loose . . . and on a roll. Are you brave enough to sample the snacks on his cart?
- Show the world you HEART Spider-Man when you make a bottle cap necklace.
TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES, BUZZ LIGHTYEAR, BIG HERO 6, and THE INCREDIBLES in THE KID ZONE
- Leonardo, Donatello, Michaelangelo, and Raphael will make an appearance, but NOT all at once. They are busy fighting crime, people!
- Eat their favorite ninja turtle treat -- PIZZA! -- then feed the turtles at the Pizza Toss game.
- Glow-in-the-dark Teenage Mutant Ninja Eggs!
- Navigate the Star Command Course with Buzz Lightyear.
- Rootin' tootin' Jessie will help you turn into a three-eyed alien. You will be eternally grateful.
- Meet and greet Baymax and Hiro in the Program Room! Maybe you'll even get to fist bump. Balalalala.
- Experience good old-fashioned Bot Fighting and Baymax Bowling.
- Catch Go Go as she speeds by with a cart of delicious discs.
- Mr. Incredible will be here. Being incredible!
- Syndrome will take a break from bad guy duties to play a game of Robot Rampage in the Prechool Room.
SUMMER READING REGISTRATION with THE AGENTS of S.H.I.E.L.D. at THE CIRCULATION DESK
- If you haven't signed up for summer reading yet, you can do that at HERO-CON!
- Kids, teens, and even adults can register for summer reading. The Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. are here to help.
Every Hero Needs a Summer Reading List
Looking for the perfect sidekick for summer reading? Do they need to be brave, daring, loyal, and full of surprises? I know the perfect candidates. The official Summer Reading 2015 recommended reading lists! They won't let you down. Choose the one that's right for you!
- Super Books for Preschool-2nd Grade
- Heroic Reads for Grades 3-6
- Unmask Super Summer Reading for Grades 7-12
These lists can be accessed all summer long in the Downloads section on both the main Kid Zone and Teen Spot pages. Many of the titles are also available as a book-on-CD, a downloadable audiobook, or an ebook. Nonfiction titles will be featured in a weekly blog series that began May 18. And don't forget to watch our Summer Reading 2015 book trailer!