Top Menu FAQ Membershipts etc

Search the catalog above.

Teens

Come See Us At The Teens Desk. We Can Help You Find Your Next Favorite Book!

Teens Blog

This is the Earth

Saturday, April 22, 2017 is Earth Day.  This year's focus is all about environmental and climate literacy.  So use these brand-new books to fill your brain with knowledge about our amazing planet!

 And stay tuned for even more great book recommendations in our upcoming Information Foundations, the annual blog series featuring our nonfiction summer reading list.  Week 4 focuses on Earth, Our Home

Katiem's picture
Author: 
Katiem

Once Upon a Time

Watch the latest episode of Once Upon a Time with fellow fans!  We'll meet in the Shakespeare Room downstairs at 6:30 p.m. on Monday, April 24, 2017.  There will also be a cool craft and fun snacks inspired by the series.  You don't have to register for this event, but you do have to be at least 14 years old to attend.

Make sure you stop by the Teen Spot afterwards to grab a book inspired by fairytales.  You can access a list of some of our favorites by clicking here.  You can also stop by the desk and ask for a recommendation.

Target Age: 
Katiem's picture
Author: 
Katiem

Guys Listen

Did you decide to read this blog because you disagree with the title?  Are you absolutely sure that guys do not listen . . . ever?  Well, the truth of the matter is that 30% of guys are auditory learners.  This means they gather information, process it, and learn it best if they hear it.  And the other 70% are more than happy to tune their ears into something worth listening to.  That's why author Jon Scieszka launched his website www.guyslisten.com.  GUYS LISTEN promotes literacy by focusing on the art of listening. Allowing guys to “plug in” to experience great stories will motivate them to enjoy novels and literature they may have been unwilling to try out before. Audiobooks are an ideal medium for all guys, whether they are reluctant readers or voracious ones.  Each audiobook featured on the website is highly recommended, and it's easy to find one that's a good match for you.  The collections are divided into three age groups -- little guys, guys in the middle, and older guys.  Click on the bold website address to learn more.

Play Bingo and win books. It's as simple as that.  Just remember, as my momma always says . . . "Life's simple pleasures are the best."  Ok, ok.  A Van Camps Pork and Beans commercial said it first.  Doesn't mean it isn't true!

Tween Scene: Book Bingo!
Friday, April 21, 2017
at 4 p.m.
Ages 10- 14.  Register online or by phone (444-7830).

National Library Week is coming April 9-15, 2017.  This year's theme is Libraries Transform, and Hoover Public Library is doing something really cool to celebrate.  Thanks to our adult nonfiction department for coming up with such a great idea!

LIBRARY PEEPS SHOW: Peep Diorama Contest
Use Peeps candy to create a scene inspired by your favorite library experience.  Click here for a copy of the flyer, which includes all the rules and the entry form.  I will also have copies at my "Here a Chick, There a Chick" Story Lab on Monday, April 10, 2017 at 4 p.m.  We'll be using Peeps in that event as well.  Maybe it will inspire your diorama!  There are categories for adults, teens, kids, and families/groups.  The winners will be announced at a special National Library Week Reception in the Nonfiction Department on Thursday, April 13, 2017 at 6:30 p.m.

Pages

Teen Services

Teen Volunteer Guidelines

Volunteer applications are taken year round, but opportunities are available on a limited basis. During the school year times are available for special programs only. Applications will be held on file until opportunities arise. Volunteers are needed more during the summer to help with the library’s Summer Reading Program.

Summer applications are accepted from March 1 to May 15.  All applicants must attend one of the following training sessions; Friday, April 28 at 4:30 p.m. or Monday, May 1 at 6:30 p.m.