Any resident of Hoover or Jefferson County can get a library card at the Hoover Public Library, free of charge. Patrons over the age of 15 must show a driver's license with current address or a form of government issued photo ID and verification of current address (i.e., piece of mail, lease agreement, checkbook, bill statement, etc.). Children under 15 must have a parent or legal guardian sign a responsibility statement. The parent or legal guardian must sign the application.
What You Need to Obtain a Membership
To be eligible for a Jefferson County Library card the patron must have a government issued picture ID and proof of local address. These needs can be met by a valid driver’s license with a current address or a combination of 1 from the identification column and 1 from the address column.
Library card renewals can be done through the Jefferson County Cooperative website.
1. Government Issued IDs (Any one of these will work.)
State Issued ID
2. Proof of Address
Post marked piece of mail with patron's name and current address
Deed with patron's name and current address
Lease with Patron's name and current address
Insurance card with patron's name and current address
Checkbook with current patron's address
Pay stub with current patron's address
If the patron is a minor, their parents or guardian may assume responsibility for the card provided they meet the above criteria. If the patron is 18 or over, they must provide their own information.
But what if I don't live in Jefferson county or the City of Hoover?
Non-residents may purchase cards for an annual fee of $50 dollars. These cards are issued in the applicant's name, but may be used by that person's entire family.
Business cards are issued at no charge to businesses or agencies in Jefferson County. A request for a business membership must be presented in writing on company letterhead by the presiding officer or a person named in the letter as an authorized user of the library account (this person must also present a valid government issued photo ID). The presiding officer of the company must sign the request. A valid business license is required along with the request for business membership. The same information is required to renew the card, which must be done on an annual basis.
- Membership valid in all Jefferson County Libraries
Check out up to 150 items at a time
- Books, Music CD’s, Books-on-Tape, Books-on-CD, Playaways, Puppets, CD-ROMs, & Non-Fiction VHS Tapes/DVDs check out for 3 weeks
- Popular DVDs and Video Games check out for 1 week.
- Renew materials for an additional borrowing period from date of renewal, EXCEPT for items with reserves
Renewable materials can be renewed only before the item must be returned for at least 24 hours
Lost/Stolen Library Cards
Please report lost or stolen cards to the library at once, you are responsible for every item checked out on your card. If you need more information about the library, call the Circulation department at 444-7800. Also try our Frequently Asked Questions page, or our Help section.
Late charges are 25¢ per day for Books, Music CD’s, Audiobooks, Puppets, and CD-ROMs - $5.00 maximum
- Late charges are $1.00 per day for DVDs, and Video Games - $10.00 maximum
- Late charges can be paid at the circulation desk. Call 205.444.7800 for more information.
- Late charges can also be paid online.
- We do not accept replacement materials for lost or damaged items, only the replacement cost.
As of August 1, 2018 any non-digital item checked out at a JCLC location will be renewed automatically at the end of its lending period. There are exceptions to automatic renewal of materials (*Please read below)
You still can renew items manually by using My Account or by calling the library. *There are a few exceptions. Items won’t be renewed if:
- Another patron places a reserve on that item
- The item has reached its maximum number of renewals (2 for most items)
- Your account has accrued $5.01 or more in fines
- If the item is not renewable
- Your account activity has been blocked
- The item is an eBook
You will be notified by the courtesy email notice that your item has been automatically renewed. If you are not signed up to receive courtesy email notices, you will not be notified. If you do not have email notifications, you will be overdue.