Any resident of Hoover or Jefferson County can get a library card at the Hoover Public Library, free of charge. Patrons over the age of fifteen must show a driver's license with current address or a form of government issued photo ID and verification of current address (i.e., piece of mail, lease agreement, checkbook, bill statement, etc.). Children under fifteen must have a parent or legal guardian sign a responsibility statement. The parent or legal guardian must sign the application.
To be eligible for a Jefferson County Library card the patron must have a government issued picture ID and proof of local address. These needs can be met by a valid driver’s license with a current address or a combination of 1 from the identification column and 1 from the address column.
|Passport||Post marked piece of mail with patron’s name and current address|
|State issued ID||Lease or deed with patron’s name and current address|
|Military ID||Insurance card with name and current address|
|Checkbook with current address|
|Pay stub with current address|
If the patron is a minor, their parents or guardian may assume responsibility for the card provided they meet the above criteria. If the patron is 18 or over, they must provide their own information.
Non-residents may purchase cards for an annual fee of $50 dollars. These cards are issued in the applicant's name, but may be used by that person's entire family.
Visitor cards may be obtained for a fifty dollar cash deposit. These cards allow you to check out a maximum of five items. The deposit will be returned when the books are checked in.
Businesses located within Hoover or Jefferson County may obtain a library card which is valid to check out all materials. In order to apply, the head of the organization must be present with his/her government issued ID to make the request on company letterhead. This letter should list the head of the organization, who in turn will be responsible for all material checked out. The business owner will designate all individuals authorized to use the business account.
Borrowing period for books, audio books, nonfiction videos, and music CDs and cassettes is three weeks. CD-ROMs check out for three weeks. Popular videos and Children's videos check out for seven days.
Video and DVD late charges are one dollar per day. All other late charges are twenty-five cents per day.
Items owned by the Hoover Library may be renewed one time as long as there are no outstanding reserves. As part of a county - wide policy, we renew items only once. It is necessary to have your library card with you when renewing an item in person or by phone. The automated telephone renewal number is 226-3790. Patrons may also call the Hoover Public Library at 444-7800 during normal library hours or may renew online.
Lost/Stolen Library Cards
Please report lost or stolen cards to the library at once, you are responsible for every item checked out on your card. There is a three dollar fee for a replacement card. If you need more information about the library, call the Information/Circulation department at 444-7800. Also try our Frequently Asked Questions page, or our Help section.
- Membership valid in all Jefferson County Libraries
Check out up to 100 items at a time
- Books, Music CD’s, Books-on-Tape, Books-on-CD, Playaways, Puppets, CD-ROMs, & Non-Fiction VHS Tapes/DVDs check out for 3 weeks
- Popular DVDs and Video Games check out for 1 week. Limit 15 popular DVDs at a time
- Renew materials for an additional 3 weeks from date of renewal, EXCEPT for VHS Tapes, DVDs, computer related books, and items with reserves
Renewable materials can be renewed only once before the item must be returned for at least 24 hours
Late Charges (Library Fines)
- Late charges are 25¢ per day for Books, Music CD’s, Books-on-Tape, Books-on-CD, Playaways, Puppets, and CD-ROMs - $5.00 maximum
- Late charges are $1.00 per day for DVDs, VHS Tapes and Video Games - $10.00 maximum
- Replacement library cards are $3.00
- Late charges can be paid at the circulation desk. Call 205.444.7800 for more information.
- Late charges can also be paid online.
- We do not accept replacement materials for lost or damaged items, only the replacement cost.