What's Happening at the Hoover Public Library.
Information on events, library related happenings, and other deep thoughts from our library staff.
Team Up with LEGO Superheroes!
You love LEGO bricks. You love superheroes. What happens when you combine those two loves? You get LEGO Superheroes at the Hoover Public Library! There will be LEGO mini-figure launching, a chance to build something MARVELous, and that's just the beginning. Registration is open for all three events. Choose the one that's right for you! You can sign up online by clicking on the blue time slot. You can also call us at 444-7830.
LEGO Superheroes (Grades 1-3)
Thursday, June 11, 2015 at 4:00 p.m.
LEGO Superheroes (Grades 1-3)
Thursday, June 11, 2015 at 6:30 p.m
LEGO Superheroes (Grades 4-6)
Thursday, June 18, 2015 at 6:30 p.m.
Hero Headlines #2
This week's informational booklist honors the heroes who have served our country in times of peace and war. Read these True Tales of the Military. (Click here for a printable list complete with call numbers. Click here to watch hilarious booktalks featuring Miss Katie Jane and Mr Jeremy.)
- Alpha, Bravo, Charlie: The Military Alphabet by Chris L. Demarest
- Army Camels: Texas Ships of the Desert by Doris Fisher
- Army Delta Force by Nick Gordon
- Army Rangers by Carlos Alvarez
- Benjamin O. Davis, Jr.: Air Force General & Tuskegee Airmen Leader by Sari Earl
- Coast Guard by Simon Rose
- Count On Us: American Women in the Military by Amy Nathan
- Courage Has No Color: The True Story of the Triple Nickles: America’s First Black Paratroopers by Tanya Lee Stone
- Dogs on Duty: Soldiers’ Best Friends on the Battlefield and Beyond by Dorothy Hinshaw Patent
- Dolphins in the Navy by Meish Goldish
- Elite Forces Selection by Jack Montana
- Everything Battles by John Perritano & James Spears
- The Harlem Hellfighters: When Pride Met Courage by Walter Dean Myers
- The Kids’ Guide to Military Vehicles by Lisa M. B. Simons
- Mayday! Mayday!: A Coast Guard Rescue by Chris L. Demarest
- Navy SEAL Dogs: My Tale of Training Canines for Combat by Mike Ritland
- Navy SEAL Team Six in Action by Stephen Person (part of series)
- Nubs: The True Story of a Mutt, a Marine & a Miracle by Brian Dennis, Kirby Larson and Mary Nethery
- Stubby the War Dog: The True Story of World War I’s Bravest Dog by Ann Bausum
- Today’s Air Force Heroes by Miriam Aronin (part of series)
- Tuesday Tucks Me In: The Loyal Bond Between a Soldier and His Service Dog by Luis Carlos Montalván
- The United States Navy by Michael Green (part of series)
- The U.S. Army Green Berets: The Missions by Pete Delmar (part of series)
- U.S. Marines by the Numbers by Elizabeth Raum (part of series)
- Warships edited by Tim Cooke
- Weapons, Gear, and Uniforms of the Iraq War by Shelley Tougas
- What’s So Great About the Tuskegee Airmen? by Tamra Orr
- Women of the U.S. Marine Corps: Breaking Barriers by Heather E. Schwartz
- Yankee Doodle Gals: Women Pilots of World War II by Amy Nathan
Our SUPER-HUGE superhero summer reading kick-off party is almost here! Join us for HERO-CON on Friday, May 29, 2015 at 7 p.m. This after-hours event is FREE! It's for all ages and spreads throughout the entire library. The night of the event you'll receive a copy of The Daily Planet to help you navigate our world of heroes, but here's a sneak peek to help you plan ahead.
DC COMICS on THE THEATRE LEVEL
- Discover your superhero potential with Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and more!
- Batman will take over the Library Theatre stage with Batmobile Training, a Bat Signal craft, and a couple of games that put you face-to-face with Mr. Freeze and The Penguin. Batgirl and The Joker will also be part of the action. WARNING! The Joker will be rolling through with a cart of treats. Eat them if you dare.
- Complete a series of strength and speed challenges with Superman and Supergirl in the Meeting Rooms. Lois Lane, ace reporter, will also be on the scene. WARNING! Lois Lane is trying to protect Superman from his only weakness. Help her by eating the Kryptonite on her food cart.
- Wonder Woman will wow you with Invisible Jet manufacturing and test flights. You'll also get a chance to design your own bullet-stopping bracelets.
- Try to lay your eyes on The Flash. He's fast, so you'll have your work cut out for you.
MARVEL COMICS UNIVERSE on THE LIBRARY PLAZA
- Official photo op with members of the Avengers! Meet and greet and take a picture with Iron Man, Captain America, and Black Widow on The Library Plaza stage.
- Conduct experiments in Bruce Banner's Lab (formerly the Reading Room). DO NOT try to make him HULK out!
- Weather alert in the News Stand! Create and capture a tornado with Storm from the X-Men.
- Star-Lord, Gamora, Rocket Raccoon, and Baby Groot will rock out with you at our Guardians of the Galaxy Dance Party in Coffee-ol-ogy!
SPIDER-MAN'S WEB in THE TEEN SPOT
- Meet and pose with Spider-Man!
- Join Team Spidey in their quest to Silly String the Villains! Each kid receives one web slinger (can of silly string) to help fulfill their mission.
- Hone your spidey senses with the Spider-Man Wall Crawl.
- The villain Electro is on the loose . . . and on a roll. Are you brave enough to sample the snacks on his cart?
- Show the world you HEART Spider-Man when you make a bottle cap necklace.
TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES, BUZZ LIGHTYEAR, BIG HERO 6, and THE INCREDIBLES in THE KID ZONE
- Leonardo, Donatello, Michaelangelo, and Raphael will make an appearance, but NOT all at once. They are busy fighting crime, people!
- Eat their favorite ninja turtle treat -- PIZZA! -- then feed the turtles at the Pizza Toss game.
- Glow-in-the-dark Teenage Mutant Ninja Eggs!
- Navigate the Star Command Course with Buzz Lightyear.
- Rootin' tootin' Jessie will help you turn into a three-eyed alien. You will be eternally grateful.
- Meet and greet Baymax and Hiro in the Program Room! Maybe you'll even get to fist bump. Balalalala.
- Experience good old-fashioned Bot Fighting and Baymax Bowling.
- Catch Go Go as she speeds by with a cart of delicious discs.
- Mr. Incredible will be here. Being incredible!
- Syndrome will take a break from bad guy duties to play a game of Robot Rampage in the Prechool Room.
SUMMER READING REGISTRATION with THE AGENTS of S.H.I.E.L.D. at THE CIRCULATION DESK
- If you haven't signed up for summer reading yet, you can do that at HERO-CON!
- Kids, teens, and even adults can register for summer reading. The Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. are here to help.
Every Hero Needs a Summer Reading List
Looking for the perfect sidekick for summer reading? Do they need to be brave, daring, loyal, and full of surprises? I know the perfect candidates. The official Summer Reading 2015 recommended reading lists! They won't let you down. Choose the one that's right for you!
- Super Books for Preschool-2nd Grade
- Heroic Reads for Grades 3-6
- Unmask Super Summer Reading for Grades 7-12
These lists can be accessed all summer long in the Downloads section on both the main Kid Zone and Teen Spot pages. Many of the titles are also available as a book-on-CD, a downloadable audiobook, or an ebook. Nonfiction titles will be featured in a weekly blog series that began May 18. And don't forget to watch our Summer Reading 2015 book trailer!
Do You Dream of Ice Cream?
I sure do! Even though it's not officially summer, it's officially HOT. And ice cream is a cold treat. For people and for Stick Dog. Yep, Stick Dog and his equally badly-drawn canine buddies are back for another hilarious (and delicious adventure) in Stick Dog Dreams of Ice Cream by Tom Watson.
"Stick Dog and his pals are back, but this time the temperature is rising and they're all feeling the heat. They need cold, cold ice cream on this hot, hot day. It will take all of Stick Dog's smarts to guide his friends to a scrumptious ice cream feast. They'll battle a water-attacking machine, discover rainbow puddles, and chase the strangest, loudest truck they've ever seen. But there's a looming threat to their mission—Stick Dog gets spotted by a human. And the police are on his tail. If he's captured, Stick Dog may never see his friends again. If he escapes, it's ice cream for everyone."
Don't miss the first three adventures! Also available as ebook!
Hero Headlines #1
What's more amazing than awesome hero fiction? Stupendous hero nonfiction! Every week for the next nine weeks of Summer Reading, we will post a list of super informative titles that focus on real-life heroes. We're kicking off with True Tales of Comics Creations. Get the real story behind your favorite comic book characters, and discover your own talent for comic-making! (Click here for a printable list complete with call numbers. Click here to watch hilarious booktalks featuring Miss Katie Jane and Mr Jeremy.)
- The Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes, The Ultimate Character Guide by Alan Cowsill
- Batman: The World of the Dark Knight by Daniel Wallace
- Big Book of Everything Manga by Christopher Hart
- Bill the Boy Wonder: The Secret Co-Creator of Batman by Marc Tyler Nobleman
- Boys of Steel: The Creators of Superman by Marc Tyler Nobleman
- Cartooning: The Only Cartooning Book You’ll Ever Need to Be the Artist You’ve Always Wanted to Be by Art Roche
- Comic Books: From Superheroes to Manga by Joshua Hatch
- Comic Strips: Create Your Own Comic Strips from Start to Finish by Art Roche
- Comics: Investigate the History and Technology of American Cartooning by Sam Carbaugh
- DC Comics: The Ultimate Character Guide by Brandon T. Snider
- Draw 50 Famous Cartoons by Lee J. Ames
- Draw Superheroes in 4 Easy Steps by Stephanie LaBaff
- Drawing the Villains in Your Graphic Novel by Frank Lee
- Funny Cartooning for Kids by Mike Artell
- Heroes!: Draw Your Own Superheroes, Gadget Geeks & Other Do-Gooders by Jay Stephens
- How to Draw Comic Heroes by Aaron Sautter
- How to Draw Manga Warriors by Aaron Sautter
- How to Draw Nickelodeon Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles by Nino Navarra
- LEGO Super Heroes: Batman Visual Dictionary by Daniel Lipkowitz
- Making Comic Books by Michael Teitelbaum
- Marvel Super Hero Fact Book
- The Official DC Super Hero Cookbook by Matthew Mead
- So, You Wanna Be a Comic Book Artist? by Philip Amara
- Spider-Man: Inside the World of Your Friendly Neighborhood Hero by Matthew K. Manning
- The Story of the X-Men: How It All Began by Michael Teitelbaum
- Super Grammar: Learn Grammar with Superheroes by Tony Preciado
- Superman: The Ultimate Guide to the Man of Steel by Daniel Wallace
- Who Is Stan Lee? by Geoff Edgers
Summer Reading 2015
Reading Powers: Activate! Discover all kinds of heroes . . . including the hero within . . . when you join this year's Summer Reading program. Registration begins Monday, May 18, 2015. Watch the official commercial!
- Every Hero Has a Story
This program is for kids, ages birth-rising 6th grade. Kids record the books they read (or have read to them) on their official reading log, title and number of pages. For every 100 pages read, they receive a ticket. Tickets can be spent in the Prize Vault beginning June 1. At 500 pages, kids also receive their official summer reading certificate and a chance to win a bike from Bike Link.
This program is for teens, rising 7th grade-rising 12th grade. Teens record the books they read (or have read to them) on their official reading log, title and number of pages. For every 100 pages read, they receive a ticket. Tickets can be spent in the Prize Vault beginning June 1. Teen tickets can also be entered into grand prize drawings.
Book choices are entirely up to the reader. We'll be posting some suggestions to the blog soon. You can also ask for recommendations from our staff, check out our Goodreads account, and browse our Pinterest boards.
Maximum Ride Forever
Yes, James Patterson said that the eighth Maximum Ride book would be the last. Luckily, he lied.
"Maximum Ride Forever, the ninth and ultimate Maximum Ride story, comes out May 18, 2015. Legions of Max fans won't be disappointed by this encore episode in the beloved series about the incredible adventures of a teenage girl who can fly. As Maximum Ride boldly navigates a post-apocalyptic world, she and her broken flock are roaming the earth, searching for answers to what happened. All will be revealed in this last spectacular "ride"- a brand-new grand finale featuring all of the nonstop action, twists and turns that readers can rely on in a blockbuster Patterson page turner!"
Read (or reread or re-reread) the entire series!