Information on events, library related happenings, and other deep thoughts from our library staff.
Your Life as a . . .
You may have noticed that the Kid Zone at the Hoover Public Library has a lot of books. A LOT. I've been here almost 15 years, and even I don't know every single title we have. Proof? The other day, while helping a teacher find books for her students, I stumbled upon an amazing nonfiction series that I had never seen before. It's so stellar I decided to blog about it. And here we are. Each title in The Way It Was series starts with "Your Life as a" and focuses on the adventure and hardships of specific moments from history. The premise is that the reader has been assigned a part in the school play. The reader (that's YOU!) assumes the role and learns along the way. There are seven books in the series.
- Your Life as a Cabin Attendant on the Titanic
- Your Life as a Cabin Boy on a Pirate Ship
- Your Life as a Pharaoh in Ancient Egypt
- Your Life as a Pioneer on the Oregon Trail
- Your Life as a Private on the Lewis and Clark Expedition
- Your Life as a Settler in Colonial America
- Your Life as an Explorer on a Viking Ship
World Hello Day
Hello! Hola! Cíao! Shalom! Namaste!
Just practicing for tomorrow. November 21 is World Hello Day. The purpose? To promote peace all over the world and bridge barriers between every nationality. It's easy to participate. Simply say hello to 10 different people. And try to include strangers! Be brave! Reach out! The Hoover Public Library can help you learn how other cultures say hello with Mango, our online language learning course. Or you can check out one of these books.
- Can You Greet the Whole Wide World?: 12 Common Phrases in 12 Different Languages by Lezlie Evans
- Everybody Bonjours! by Leslie Kimmelman
- Hello! Good-bye! by Aliki
- Hello, My Name Is Bob by Linas Alsenas
- How Hippo Says Hello! by Abigail Simoun
- It's a Small World: Hello, World! by Disney
- Jambo Means Hello: A Swahili Alphabet Book by Muriel Feelings
- Say Hello! by Rachel Isadora
- Yo! Yes? by Chris Raschka
- You Say Hola, I Say Hello by Elizabeth Zapata
It's almost time for the most delicious storytime of the year -- Story Feast! Follow the stars through the Kid Zone to the program room on Wednesday, November 26, 2014 at 10:30 a.m. Miss Laura and Miss Anna Beth will join me (Miss Katie Jane) for stories and songs about potatoes, turkeys, and pie. Mmmmmm. We'll also show a mini-movie and serve a snack. It's the perfect introduction to the Thanksgiving weekend!